SaraSpa has not always been located in Greenfield Center on Porter Corners Road. The club started in 1946 and was originally located on West Avenue in Saratoga Springs (where Adirondack Appliance currently sits). At the West Avenue site, the facilities consisted of an indoor range only.
In 1984, the club moved to its current location on Porter Corners Road. The club considered a location off of Sandhill Road in Greenfield, but the Porter Corners Road site is where we ended up.
Images from West Ave
At the monthly new member orientation in April 2010, a gentlemen showed up looking to join. He gave his name as Howard Goodwin and stated he had been a member of the club over 50 years ago. Even better, Mr. Goodwin had brought some photos of the SaraSpa rifle team! Mr. Goodwin generously donated the photos to the club, they are posted in the clubhouse and the scanned photos are available below. Mr. Goodwin provided names when possible.
One of the photos was date stamped February 18, 1951. They all seem to be from the same time period.
Back Row (L-R) Ode Ekseth, ?, Joe Tkacheff, ?, D Harris; Front Row (L-R) George Uveges, Leo Smalldone, D Harris Jr., ?, Howard Goodwin, Sid Latham
Rifle Team In-Action!
Back Row (L-R): Joe Tkacheff, John Gailor, Ode Ekseth; Front Row (L-R): George Uveges, Sid Latham